About Us

The foundation Stone of the present Cathedral Church was laid on September 3, 1871 and was solemnly by Rt. Rev. Dr. Pesci on February 11, 1879 and was dedicated to Saint Joseph.

Many improvements were made as the years rolled by. In the year 1905 the present clock was installed in the Tower. Bishop A. Poli wrote, “To augment the material glory of the Mother Church of the Diocese”. In preparation for the Golden Jubilee of its erection on May 25, 1934 a pneumatic Organ, a new and beautiful set of the stations of the cross, an impressive and artistic Bishop’s throne, stalls in the Sanctuary were installed. Moreover three monumental Statues of Christ our Redeemer, Apostles Peter and Paul and of St. Francis Assisi decorate the facade of the Cathedral. Within the years beside other embellishments a beautiful Calvary ‘La Pieta’ was placed inside the Cathedral entrance, on the left corner. A telescopic Ladder to clean the roof was added to the other articles mentioned above.

A priest-house was built in 1884 and Bishop’s House was erected in 1894. And finally “Priests’ Annexe” was built in 1956.